Which Acrylic Paint Kit is Appropriate for a Teenager?
If you are shopping for Acrylic Painting Kits For Teens you can find all the best selections here. These are for beginners, intermediate, and advanced acrylic artists. Teens will find the best video instructions and supplies to create amazing paintings.
Art kits are a great gift for any teen artist. Select the kit based on skill and dedication. The kits with instructions are best for beginners and intermediate artists. You can also find amazing video instruction on this page.
Bob Ross Acrylic Painting Kit
Best beginners kit for teens
Bob Ross was one of the best teachers of acrylic painting techniques. This kit comes with a step by step guide by landscape artist Bob Ross. Bob’s TV show reruns continue to be a favorite of beginners and advanced painters alike even after his death in 1995.
Liquitex BASICS Acrylic Paint Tube 36-Piece Set
A great beginners set that people say have bright and vibrant colors. The only complete seems to be that the tubes are very small and there is only one small tube of white – but well worth the price especially if you are not sure it is something you are going to enjoy.
Why use acrylic paints?
Many people choose acrylic as a cheaper alternative to oil paints. They are water-based so can be diluted with water and can be used much like watercolor paints or used as it comes from the tubes. It dries much much faster than oil paints which can be a disadvantage if you want to take your time over your painting.
That also makes it hard to clean off brushes unless you keep them moist and clean the paint off immediately after use. They can be cleaned with soap and water. You might note you need to also clean your palette knife as soon as you use it. Acrylic paints are less toxic than oil paints and they don’t need any solvents to use.
Royal & Langnickel Acrylic Easel Art Set with Easy to Store Bag
Royal & Langnickel always produce the goods and this beginner kit is ideal for teenagers. The whole thing stores away in a fold down easel with storage drawer and comes with all you need for a mobile studio. Included are 12 acrylic paints and 4 brushes; a palette and palette knife; 3 artist boards, an apron and storage bag as well as pencil, eraser and sharpener. You can be confident when buying this kit that it will suit your teen down to the ground.
What art supplies you need for painting with acrylic paints
Acrylic paints, brushes and something to paint on are obvious but which do you choose and what else is useful.
- As minimum buy a small selection of good acrylic paints. Include black and white, yellow, red and blue but also include green and purple, both notoriously difficult colors to mix yourself. As with other paints there are student grades and artist grades. The student ones tend to be less vibrant in color. Manufacturers will label student grade with the names like ‘hue’ at the end.
- Brushes – there are lots of places online to get advice on which brushes to use for particular painting so briefly here – you will need a minimum of one soft bristle brush for creating soft watercolor-type painting and one stiff bristle one for thicker painting.
- Canvas – canvas is better than paper for acrylics although you might want to use sketch paper to practice, it is much cheaper but using acrilic paint thinned with water might mean it soaks through the paper. You can buy reasonably priced ones that are already stretched and primed. Plenty of time to learn how to stretch and prime raw canvas when you become more experienced.
- A palette – use a plastic one rather than a wooden one, acrylic oils tend to dry out on wooden palettes.
- A palette knife to mix paints with
- A couple of containers of clean water
- Rags or paper towels
Can You Use Acrylic Paint on Plastic Materials?
The simple answer is yes but there is things to know about before start using Acryclic paint on plastic materials. It is worth keeping in mind that acrylic painting can be done better on wooden or ceramic surfaces.
Plastic surfaces are not ideal for painting acrylic, but there are many ways that can be used as solutions. The most important of these is to make the plastic surface to be worked ready for acrylic painting with coating or other techniques. For this, it is necessary to use a surface cleaner or sanitizer. However, after covering the plastic surface with surface coating materials, you can make it ready for acrylic painting.
How to Avoid Brushstrokes in Your Acrylic Painting
There are several methods you can use to avoid brushstrokes in acrylic painting like using flow improver, mist the painting with water and using opaque paints. Here is the full list that you can prevent brushstrokes in your paint.
Here is the some tricks for avoid brushstrokes in Acrylic painting:
- Use thing layers for paint
- Use soft brush
- Use fluid acrylics
- Choose the right brush
- Everytime use clean brush
- Add water to your brushes before start
- Do not press to much when you are painting
- Do not keep brush same area over and over
- Use airbrush
- Use smooth surface
Do you have any experience on acrylic painting? Please comment us your best practices to help the audience.